Countdown to Christmas begins with FREE light switch on event
MyMiltonKeynes is kicking off the festive season with a spectacular FREE Christmas lights switch-on, taking place on Saturday 18th November (3-5pm) at Midsummer Place.
This year’s event, hosted by MKFM presenters Trev and Wes, will be packed full of festive fun, including live music, dance performances, and local choirs. You can warm-up with MKFM’s DJ Keith Hurley between 3-4pm, with the main show kicking off at 4pm. It will take place in in the turning circle area between Midsummer Place and centre:mk shopping centres. The full show schedule will be available to view on our events page of our website and across our social media channels.
Families are encouraged to put on their Christmas hats and join in the celebration of lighting up our much-loved city. Some of our favourite Milton Keynes mascots will be on parade and the event will culminate with the switching on of the lights by Father Christmas, joined by the Milton Keynes Mayor and Mayoress Mick and Mandy Legg.
The Mayor and Mayoress of Milton Keynes said: “The switching on of Milton Keynes’ Christmas lights is always a special occasion. It is one of the highlights of the year seeing families and friends gather to celebrate the start of the festive season in the heart of our city.”
MyMiltonKeynes, which is funded by city centre businesses, is installing Christmas lights in Central Milton Keynes for the seventh year running. This year the installation includes a giant moving projection along the outside of Midsummer Place, above the MyMiltonKeynes office. This will be a must-see attraction in the city.
3pm – 4pm: DJ Keith Hurley set
4pm – Wes & Trev from MKFM kick off the show.
4.05pm – 4.15pm – The Collaboration Choir
4.15pm – 4.25pm – Dale
4.25pm – 4.35pm – Fun Competition with Wes & Trev
4.35pm – 4.45pm – Dancebox
4.45pm – The Mayor & Mayoress of Milton Keynes and Father Christmas will join the stage
4.50pm – Some of our much-loved MK Mascots with take to the stage
5pm: Switch on with the Mayor & Mayoress of Milton Keynes & Father Christmas
5.10pm – Home time
Outside Midsummer Place Shopping Centre, Midsummer Boulevard turning circle.
- Wes and Trev from MKFM will be hosting the event on stage, alongside them will be a sign language interpreter
- Three acts will perform;The Collaboration Choir, Dale (singer) and Dancebox (who are going to bring the sparkles)
- Towards the end of the show, local mascots, The Mayor & Mayoress of Milton Keynes and Father Christmas will take to the stage for the big countdown
- Just before the firework display starts there will be an announcement for those people who may find the display too loud to move to a quieter more suitable area. For those sensitive to loud music and noises, the advice is to bring ear plugs and/or headphones to the event
- 5pm the lights will go on. Please note the lights won’t be visible from this area as they are located at Midsummer Boulevard, Church of Christ the Cornerstone, Exchange Square, and outside the back of centre:mk. Instead, there will be ‘cold’ fireworks, pyrotechnics, lasers, and snow canons. Included in this year’s display there will be a HUGE Christmas themed projection on the wall above your heads.
- The event will end straight after the fireworks, and we ask that everyone vacates the area via their nearest exit slowly and carefully. Please bear in mind there will be many children and pushchairs in this area and safety is our priority.
- Parking is available throughout the city, your closest one being the Midsummer Place multi-storey. Please be advised it will be very busy, so allow yourself time to park and make your way to the event area.
- If you are making a day of this event in the city, then there are many fun Christmas photo opportunities, activities, twinkly lights and over 350 retailers to enjoy. There are also restaurants and family fun activities in Xscape, 12th Street and The Hub, all within walking distance to the event.
There will not be a charity collection this year; however, MyMiltonKeynes are encouraging people to ‘Tap to Donate’ at their office window to support Action4Youth and their fight against knife and gang crime.
For further information about MyMiltonKeynes please visit www.mymiltonkeynes.co.uk and keep up to date with all of the latest information from your Business Improvement District by following @MyMiltonKeynes on Facebook, X, Instagram, TikTok and LinkedIn.